Thanks for choosing Terrapin Works
Let's start with some definitions. We're an additive/subtractive manufacturing solution in our primary role. We currently have several secondary roles, varying from electronics prototyping to advanced CAD design. We're looking to expand in the future, so keep checking back.
If at any time you have a question about getting started, please message us. We're happy to answer any questions or concerns you may have.
Getting Started Quicknav:
- Get Started for Basic Users & Requests
- Get Started for Advanced Users & Requests
- Get Started for External Users & Requests
Our primary location is in the TAP Building
The TAP Building (Technology Advancement Programs Building) is located directly behind the campus farm next to parking lot CC. Find a map of this location here: UMD Campus Web Map
Now that we've covered the basics, let's get to the process for requesting services
Depending on what you're looking to print/request, there are different locations within the Terrapin Works system that you will find useful. A good rule of thumb is that you start with the basics and work your way up the ladder (i.e. start with a consumer 3D printer before using a commercial grade one).
Requesting a basic print job is extremely easy. Skip to Getting Started for Basic Users & Requests to learn about requesting a basic print job.
Requesting an advanced print job, or requesting that your job be printed on one of our higher-end machines is a little bit more involved. Skip to Getting Started for Advanced Users and Requests to learn about the process for requesting access to our higher-end equipment.
External users for either a basic or advanced print job can use the same methods, after paperwork is filed. Skip to Getting Started for External Users and Requests to learn about the process to achieve university affiliate status.
Getting Started for Basic Users & Requests
The MakerBot Innovation Center is a farm of consumer-grade printers capable of quickly realizing both complex and basic parts with moderate detail.
- Prints cost $.10 per gram
- Innovation Center print requests are handled through the Innovation Center Management Platform (ICMP).
- You're able to authenticate on the ICMP with your Directory ID and password.
- We accept Terrapin Express as a form of payment for prints on the ICMP, FRS may be used in some circumstances.
- Innovation Center printers are only capable of consumer-grade PLA at this time.
- Please click the "Info" tab in the ICMP before you submit a print request to read notices.
(you can bookmark/remember http://ter.ps/ICMP to get there quickly)
Getting Started for Advanced Users & Requests
If you're an advanced user (i.e. you're looking to use higher-end equipment or get a higher level of detail/durability/etc. than the MakerBot's are capable of producing) you'll want to reach out to us. Since our higher-end equipment is more costly to run and you're looking to achieve the best results possible, we'd like to assign a lab manager to help with your specific request.
- Pricing for these machines varies. We will publish a comprehensive pricing matrix when available.
- Requests for access to higher-end machines should initially go through email: email@example.com
- You'll need to set up a charging account if you don't currently have one, an FRS number is required for access to higher-end machines.
- Register a charging account here: http://ter.ps/twacctreq
- Requests for access to higher-end machines are through the TW Scheduler after your account has been set up.
- You're able to log in to the TW Scheduler using your Directory ID and password.
- You need a Principal Investigator (PI) for a scheduler account. Access to higher-end machines typically requires some sort of research oriented use.
(you can bookmark/remember http://ter.ps/twsched to get there quickly)
Getting Started for External Users & Requests
An external user is defined as someone not affiliated with the university
- We are currently unable to accomodate basic print requests for external users.
- Please bear with us as we set up our external payment solution.
- Industry, higher-education, and other advanced users - we'd love to hear from you.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.